About the General Education Program and Its Goals
General Education at the University of Maryland has many
elements because the University of Maryland has many missions.
The General Education program has the following goals
for all students:
- Develop the skills necessary to succeed in academic
careers and in professional lives by establishing habits and
understanding of clear writing, effective speaking and
presentation, and critical and analytic reasoning.
- Strengthen knowledge in major areas of study.
- Broaden knowledge of civilizations past and present.
- Establish the ability to thrive both intellectually and
materially and to support themselves, their families, and
their communities through a broad understanding of the
world in which they live and work.
- Define the ethical imperatives necessary to create a just
society in their own communities and in the larger world.
The New General Education Program at UMD: A PowerPoint Presentation
View the Presentation or Download the Presentation